The Infamous PIGMINT ART Blog That Is Just So Pigminty FRESH!

my all-encompassing, super-exciting art/photo blog.

(c)2005-2008 Vanissa W. Chan, all rights reserved.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006


Change.



It's amazing how so many things can change over the course of 5 or 6 months. It's been awhile since I've blogged, so I apologize for my slacking in keeping everyone up to date. I don't even know if anyone really reads this anymore, but hopefully there will be some new changes soon.

Over the summer I had to make art a second, maybe even third priority since I started my graduate program at L.I.U., while continuing to pamper my new puppy, Nicodemus. He is now a big 50-60 lbs puppy about to turn 8 months with a jumping up and whining problem. He's a fairly good pup, but right now he isn't getting the loving he wants and deserves. It's because Mommy's too busy at her new job.

As of late August I am a special needs teacher for grades 1, 2, and 3 at a public school right in my neighborhood. I'm now into my second month of teaching and I won't lie, it's tough. My kids are beautiful. They just have a lot (A LOT) of issues. They are a source of inspiration for me though, and will continue to be for my work.

While there have been many changes in my life, my work has migrated back to the top of the priority list. When I leave work and I am not in school, I am working on new projects. I have two 101 series that are currently in the works, and a coloring book in the process of being printed. The two 101 series are Redflags 101 and Love 101. I'm also continuing to work on The James & Ophelia Costume Party which is a fairly lengthy project of me shoving James & Ophelia into crazy, colorful, humorous costumes.

Unsuspectedly, networking has returned as a priority. In June I had a show at the Niagra, which is a bar in the Lower East Side, with the Antagonist Art Movement. It was such a successful show that I asked how I would go about showing again. They said that I can just schedule a date and that if I wanted, I could handpick the other artists...so I did.

September 21st I had my second show there, and this time it was with all my artist friends who I invited. The roster included my talented roommate who is a photographer, Carrie Villines, Brandon Lyon (who flew all the way from Tennessee), my classmate, Miguel Torres, my friend the Eenkist, Jason Tirendi, my friend Amy Shawley, and my friend Victor Timofeev. It was an extremely successful night (although long - it lasted til after 2AM, and we got home around 3AM) ...so successful that I was asked to curate again! The next show will be December 14th. I believe Carrie and Miguel will be joining me again.

Sometime in the summer I was approached by David Baker who asked me if I was interested in doing a strip for his new pet newspaper, Dig n' Scratch. After meeting with the crew back in August, we are compiling all our work and coming out with the first edition at the beginning of November. My strip, which is called, Nicodemus, will be featured in every issue...and I think it will be in color!

Next, back in, I think, May, I was featured in a music video with talents such as DJ Empress, and Aphrolyph. We filmed in this crazy awesome building on the corner of Metropolitan and Driggs in Williamsburg. Trevor, who recruited us and directed the video, and I became friends after the event (as did me and several of the other artists). Later during the summer he asked me if I'd be interested in starring in his new documentary on Brooklyn-based artists, and I couldn't say no. Right now, we're in the middle of filming, and it's been so exciting and a lot of fun.

If I am not working on enough projects..here's one more that roommate Carrie and I are working on now. We're turning our apartment into a state-of-the-art gallery. :) Yes, that's right. I'm in the middle of recruiting my artists and promoting our opening show which will be on Saturday, November 4th. The gallery is called, "The CVVC Gallery," since Carrie and I both have V and C as our initials, only in reversed order. Our first newsletter issue will be called, "Cat Vomit," an acronym for CV. You can add us on myspace at myspace.com/cvvcgallery.

Well, that was the longest blog ever. Time to get out of these pjs.

Good things,
Vanissa.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:33 AM , Blogger Tim said...

    I'm still your fan from Las Vegas, Van.
    It's nice to hear from you again. All those artsy events going on. You are prolific!
    Take care- I am praying for you....

     
  • At 8:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hi i found this blog from your cafepress shop.
    i was wondering if you could make a black unisex tshirt with "Stratton's Tattoo" on it... i'd like to wear it to school on comming out day.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home