The Infamous PIGMINT ART Blog That Is Just So Pigminty FRESH!

my all-encompassing, super-exciting art/photo blog.

(c)2005-2008 Vanissa W. Chan, all rights reserved.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

April: The Spring Month






So it's been a few weeks since my last blog. When I got back from Blacksburg I just got to work and really haven't stopped since. Things have been changing like the season here in NYC, and it's just really crazy how much has happened.

The booksigning was indeed a success. Since then I have continued to sell more books on my own, and my production guy has come out with a newly self-published version of Friendship 101 which is to die for. It looks better than some actual published comics in the stores...It's one and the same, if not better..seriously, I am a very lucky person.

This month has been the month of...Hmm. Decisions. Big ones. And publicity. At the end of March I got accepted into the NYC Teaching Fellows program which is alike Teach For America. Basically the hire you as a full-time, full-salaried teacher and throw you to the dogs in the high-needs areas of the city. Most recently I have been placed in Williamsburg, working with elementar school aged children who are of the emotionally disturbed population. I'm ecstatic, because this is the kind of work I have always been passionate about (helping kids).

The program doesn't start til June...and I have a few big tests I have to pass before I start training. It's nervewracking but very exciting, and also, it is a big commitment. The program is a two year commitment. There is also a Master's Degree in Education involved, too.

I also sold my car, Chino, to a nice Mexican family in the Bronx.

What else?

Art-related news....

I recently had a show here in Williamsburg ...it was a joint show with other artists and musicians called, Art is Not Dead. It was a fun collaborative night, and excellent for networking. My friend and colleague Jessi Robertson and I will be getting together to organize the next one coming up in May. Should be fabulous.

I'm also considering showing soon at the Niagra Bar in the East Village in May. More on that later as details slowly come in....

And......I'm still having a show at Bar 4, but have yet to work the details. I think this show is going to be pushed til May.

Tomorrow I'm getting shot for a video being put together by the the New Pop Sensation. I'm excited about being in a video, but even more excited to meet the cool people involved. Should be grand.

That's all I can blog about. I can't believe I used to blog everyday....I don't have the energy!!! :) Hope all is well.

Vanissa.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Vanissa,

    It's so great to read your blog and know how you are doing! I would love to see you in person and catch up some time soon! I will be in the city this summer until end of June and the month of August.

    Best,
    Yuki

     
  • At 1:16 PM , Blogger BURNTRAMEN said...

    you're in a vid?

    Crazy. K. Must give you a ring when things are less crazy at work... this weekend?

     
  • At 5:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi, me again. I have a new art site! (yet again) flozibe.deviantart.com
    Thx!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home